This is where it all began. In May 20,2003, UPN showed the 1st cycle of America's Next Top Model. Thanks to Tyra for making her dreams come true. And television has never been the same again (to me lah!). The catchphrase was "One Girl has what it takes". Featuring 10 contestants and in ranking order:
Last - Tessa,
9th - Katie,
8th - Nicole,
7th - Ebony,
6th - Giselle,
5th - Kesse,
4th - Robin,
3rd - Elyse,
2nd - Shannon,
Winner - Adrianne
The international destination was Paris. Adrianne won:
1. A contract with Revlon cosmetics
2. A contract for representation with Wilhemina Models
3. A spread in Marie Claire
Adrianne claimed that she did not receive all of her prizes, leading to a feud with Tyra. She was 20 y.o. when she won the title. She has since been disowned and completely disconnected from the show. In fact, rumour has it ANTM weren’t too happy when Adrianne was paid US$1 million to appear on the cover and in a nude pictorial for Playboy in 2006. Later, she appeared on VH1’s fourth season of The Surreal Life and began dating fellow housemate Peter Brady (well, Christopher Knight who played Peter in the original television series, so close enough). After The Surreal Life, the couple starred in a reality show documenting their life together called My Fair Brady, from which Adrianne reportedly earned US$250,000. The show led to her being featured in Maxim’s Hottest Women of Reality TV, and ranked (last) on the Maxim Hot 100 Women of 2005. Adrianne wed her Brady-beau in a gothic-themed ceremony in 2006.
My award for the Bitchiest Contestant goes to: Robin.
Well she has definitely irritated the atheis Elyse and at the same time confronted the lesbian, Ebony. She complained about her makeover. Dismissed Ebony for her being a lesbian and bringing her girlfriend, Ka to the loft. But she was made to sleep on the floor in Paris. She even paid a boy to help her in Paris for direction during the go-sees. She refused to shoot naked knowing the fact that she flashed her boobs to Jay earlier.
Best photos goes to: Elyse and Adrianne's shot with snake and also Adrianne's shot for Reebok ad.Worst photos went to: Kesse's shot with the snake (she looked ghastly and horrified instead of edgy), Shannon's shot for Stuff (she looked anorexic), and Tessa's "I'm going to take a dump on a top of a building in New York" JLO's swimsuit shot.
Most successful ANTM alum of Cycle 1 goes to Elyse. (She is the most successful ANTM alum ever and very successful in Asia. I saw her in lots of Hong Kong Fashion Week. She is feature in Sony commercial).
Where are they now (other than Adrianne and Elyse)?
1. Shannon Stewart: has done some print work and signed with Elite Model Management in Chicago.
2. Robin Manning: is pursuing an acting career and has been in 2 movies, did some church-related print work.
3. Kesse Wallace: has done some runway, acting, and commercial work and was signed with Gilla Roos.
4. Giselle Samson: did a variety of test shots.
5. Ebony Haith: was signed with Downtown Model Management and was an extra on Freakum Dress video for Beyonce
6. Nicole Panattoni: had modeled for various companies including La Isla Couture and Deal or No Deal but has retired to have a family.
7. Katie Cleary: is working with Deal or No Deal and has done some print modeling. She has also landed a few acting roles.
8. Tessa Carlson: did a few test shots but ultimately did not pursue a modeling career. She did posed for Stuff in 2003.